News

St Mary’s Catholic School kidnap: 227 people were abducted – CAN

Spread the love

The Niger State chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has confirmed that 227 people, including pupils, students, and teachers, were abducted when bandits stormed St. Mary’s Catholic Primary and Secondary Schools in Papiri, Agwara Local Government Area, during a deadly overnight raid between 2am and 3am on Friday, November 21.

The exact number of abductees had initially remained unclear, but by Friday evening, Daniel Atori, media aide to the CAN chairman in the state, Most Rev. Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, released a statement clarifying that 215 pupils and students and 12 teachers were taken from the school.

Yohanna, who is also the Catholic Bishop of Kontagora Diocese, said he had returned to the village after visiting the school and meeting with distraught parents. He assured families that CAN is working closely with government officials, security agencies, and community leaders to ensure that the children and teachers are rescued safely.

“I have just got back to the village this night after I visited the school where I also met with parents of the children to assure them that we are working with the government and security agencies to see that our children are rescued and brought back safely,” the statement said. He added that some students managed to escape during the chaos, and parents had begun taking home those who were found, forcing the school to shut down entirely.

Yohanna urged the public to remain calm and prayerful as efforts intensify to track the kidnappers and secure the release of all abductees. “I want to assure you that we are actively collaborating with security operatives, community leaders, and government authorities for the safe and quick return of all abductees. May the Lord grant quick release to those abducted and continue to protect his people from all dangers,” he said.

Earlier in the day, the Niger State government disclosed that the school had reopened without official clearance, despite an advisory directing all boarding schools in the area to temporarily suspend operations due to escalating security threats.

The attack comes just days after gunmen abducted 25 female students from Government Girls Secondary School in Maga, Kebbi State, a development that has deepened fears across northern Nigeria as school attacks continue to surge.

Fidel Perez

Recent Posts

Alleged s3x worker st@bs client to d3ath after dispute over payment in South Africa

A 23-year-old woman, Mudau Rothe, has st@bbed a man to d£ath after dispute over payment…

2 weeks ago

Man beaten to de@th over missing phone in Lagos (video)

A man identified as Azeez has reportedly di£d after he was allegedly beaten by suspected…

2 weeks ago

Germany deports 137 Nigerians in five chartered flights

Germany deported at least 137 Nigerian citizens in five documented chartered operations between February and…

2 weeks ago

Lagos government warns celebrities against patronising ‘agberos’

Lagos State Government has asked to celebrities, social media influencers and other members of the…

2 weeks ago

Woman allegedly st@bs her husband to d3ath in Abia 7 months after their wedding

A woman identified as Serah Innocent has allegedly st@bbed her husband, Innocent Nwaoji to d3ath…

2 weeks ago

WAFCON 2026: CAF announce new ways to watch in Africa and worldwide

CAF Confirms Global Broadcast Partners for WAFCON 2026, Expands YouTube Streaming The Confederation of African…

4 weeks ago

This website uses cookies.