News

Hugo Ekitike receives red card after his goal against Southampton

Spread the love

Liverpool forward Hugo Ekitike will miss the upcoming Premier League clash against Crystal Palace after being sent off in dramatic fashion during his side’s 2-1 victory over Southampton.

The French striker came off the bench at half-time to replace Alexander Isak and soon found himself at the center of attention — for both the right and wrong reasons. Just eight minutes after coming on, Ekitike was shown his first yellow card for unsporting behavior when he punched the ball away following a Southampton free-kick.

In the 85th minute, he thought he had written himself into the headlines for all the right reasons after slotting home a simple finish from Federico Chiesa’s cross, restoring Liverpool’s lead in front of an ecstatic Anfield crowd. But the joy quickly turned sour.

Ekitike ripped off his shirt in celebration, earning a second yellow card and subsequent dismissal. The sending-off overshadowed his goal and ensured he will now be suspended for Saturday’s league fixture against a Crystal Palace side that remains unbeaten this season.

Arne Slot’s Frustration

Liverpool head coach Arne Slot did not hold back his disappointment when addressing the incident in his post-match interview. He described Ekitike’s behavior as “stupid” and stressed the importance of emotional discipline in football.

“Needless? Yes. And it was stupid,” Slot said. “The first one was already needless and, to a certain extent, stupid, as you have to control your emotions. I told him that if you score in the Champions League final in the 87th minute after outplaying three players and hitting it in the top corner, I can maybe understand. But this? No. He’s acting like, ‘This is all about me, what did I do?’”

Slot went on to emphasize that the real credit for the goal should have gone to Chiesa, whose delivery created the opportunity:

“I’m old-fashioned — I’m 47 and old,” he continued. “I never played at this level but I did score a few goals, and if I scored a goal like that, I’d turn straight to Federico Chiesa and say: ‘This goal is all about you, not me.’ Always best to control your emotions. And if you can’t, at least do it in a way that doesn’t get you booked.”

Ekitike’s Apology

Following the backlash, Ekitike took to his official Instagram page to apologize to Liverpool fans. In his statement, he admitted that the excitement of the moment clouded his judgment:

“I was so excited tonight to help the team achieve another victory here in our home for my first Carabao Cup match… The emotion got the better of me tonight. My apologies to all the Red family.”

What Next for Liverpool?

With Ekitike suspended, Alexander Isak now looks set to step back into the starting lineup for his first Premier League appearance in a Liverpool shirt. The timing could hardly be more significant, as Slot’s men face a high-flying Crystal Palace, who are unbeaten so far and brimming with confidence.

For Liverpool, the incident serves as both a setback and a reminder — while passion and emotion fuel great moments on the pitch, keeping them under control is just as crucial to achieving consistent success.

Fidel Perez

Recent Posts

Alleged s3x worker st@bs client to d3ath after dispute over payment in South Africa

A 23-year-old woman, Mudau Rothe, has st@bbed a man to d£ath after dispute over payment…

2 weeks ago

Man beaten to de@th over missing phone in Lagos (video)

A man identified as Azeez has reportedly di£d after he was allegedly beaten by suspected…

2 weeks ago

Germany deports 137 Nigerians in five chartered flights

Germany deported at least 137 Nigerian citizens in five documented chartered operations between February and…

2 weeks ago

Lagos government warns celebrities against patronising ‘agberos’

Lagos State Government has asked to celebrities, social media influencers and other members of the…

2 weeks ago

Woman allegedly st@bs her husband to d3ath in Abia 7 months after their wedding

A woman identified as Serah Innocent has allegedly st@bbed her husband, Innocent Nwaoji to d3ath…

2 weeks ago

WAFCON 2026: CAF announce new ways to watch in Africa and worldwide

CAF Confirms Global Broadcast Partners for WAFCON 2026, Expands YouTube Streaming The Confederation of African…

4 weeks ago

This website uses cookies.