News

Trump jokes about executive order to call soccer ‘football’ in the US

Spread the love

US President, Donald Trump joked about signing an executive order to rename soccer “football” in the United States, aligning with global usage, during remarks at the FIFA Club World Cup final on Sunday, July 13.

Speaking with DAZN at MetLife Stadium, where Chelsea FC defeated Paris Saint-Germain in what he described as “a bit of an upset,”

Trump lit up when a reporter floated the idea. “I think we could do that,” he quipped.

Trump attended the match with First Lady Melania Trump at the invitation of FIFA President Gianni Infantino, a longtime friend.

Infantino has previously praised Trump for championing FIFA’s global tournaments and for offering the US as host for both men’s World Cups, with the 2026 final set to take place at the same stadium in New Jersey.

During the interview, Trump spoke broadly about America’s resurgence, linking the country’s improving global standing to his hopes for soccer’s growth.

“[The US] is doing very well on the political stage, on the financial stage. I was just in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the UAE — all the leaders said a year ago your country was dead, and now it’s the hottest country in the world,” Trump said. “It’s really hot. And I think the soccer is going to be hot here too.”

 

He also shared his belief that international sports, especially soccer, can build bridges. “It’s about unity, a lot of getting together, a lot of love between countries. I guess this is probably the most international sport, so it can really bring the world together.”

Trump teased that FIFA had to craft a new Club World Cup trophy after Infantino left the original in the Oval Office earlier this year, joking it conveniently matched his gold-accented décor.

Asked to name his “GOAT” from FIFA’s legendary roster, Trump picked Brazilian icon Pelé, recalling that he was lucky enough to see him play when he was “a young guy,” a memory he still treasures.

Source: LIB

Fidel Perez

Recent Posts

Alleged s3x worker st@bs client to d3ath after dispute over payment in South Africa

A 23-year-old woman, Mudau Rothe, has st@bbed a man to d£ath after dispute over payment…

2 weeks ago

Man beaten to de@th over missing phone in Lagos (video)

A man identified as Azeez has reportedly di£d after he was allegedly beaten by suspected…

2 weeks ago

Germany deports 137 Nigerians in five chartered flights

Germany deported at least 137 Nigerian citizens in five documented chartered operations between February and…

2 weeks ago

Lagos government warns celebrities against patronising ‘agberos’

Lagos State Government has asked to celebrities, social media influencers and other members of the…

2 weeks ago

Woman allegedly st@bs her husband to d3ath in Abia 7 months after their wedding

A woman identified as Serah Innocent has allegedly st@bbed her husband, Innocent Nwaoji to d3ath…

2 weeks ago

WAFCON 2026: CAF announce new ways to watch in Africa and worldwide

CAF Confirms Global Broadcast Partners for WAFCON 2026, Expands YouTube Streaming The Confederation of African…

4 weeks ago

This website uses cookies.