News

Oxford Union president who celebrated Charlie Kirk sh0oting set to be ousted

Spread the love

The Oxford Union president who celebrated Charlie Kirk’s sho0ting is set to be ousted.

George Abaraonye, 20, sparked outrage last month by posting a WhatsApp message appearing to approve of the violence against the US influencer.

He later deleted the message after learning of Mr Kirk’s death, and admitted he ‘acted poorly’ without ‘knowing about the situation’.

Now, the Oxford University student has triggered a motion of no confidence against himself in a bid to reclaim ‘true accountability’.

According to Mail Online, there will be a poll on Saturday when Oxford Union members can vote on whether to oust him.

Mr Abaraonye is hoping enough people vote in his favour so that he can continue in his role with renewed legitimacy.

He posted on Instagram: ‘On Saturday, 18th October, there will be a poll of the members to decide whether or not I should be removed as President-Elect of the Oxford Union. ‘Vote NO. As I will be doing.’

It means there will be a poll on Saturday when Oxford Union members can vote on whether to oust him.

Mr Abaraonye is hoping enough people vote in his favour so that he can continue in his role with renewed legitimacy.

He posted on Instagram: ‘On Saturday 18th October there will be a poll of the members to decide whether or not I should be removed as President-Elect of the Oxford Union. ‘Vote NO. As I will be doing.’

Mr Abaraonye will be forced to resign as president-elect if two thirds of those taking part in the poll vote against him.

The Oxford Union is a 200-year-old debating society for Oxford students and alumni which is independent from university management.

The furore erupted after Mr Abaraonye, a second-year philosophy, politics and economics student, appeared to celebrate the sniper attack on the US influencer in the immediate aftermath of the shooting.

He posted social media messages on the evening of September 10, including one saying: ‘Charlie Kirk got shot, let’s f—— go’ – a common celebratory phrase among Gen Z.

In a YouTube interview this week, he claimed he had been ‘misrepresented’ by the media because he hadn’t realised Kirk had died when he posted the messages.

He said: ‘I reacted poorly, I reacted very quickly. At the time I didn’t know anything about the situation.

‘I retracted and deleted my comments, and the stories came out a day later saying I celebrated his death. But at this point I had no clue.’

Asked if he would have said it if he’d seen the video of the shooting, he said: ‘No’.

Fidel Perez

Recent Posts

Alleged s3x worker st@bs client to d3ath after dispute over payment in South Africa

A 23-year-old woman, Mudau Rothe, has st@bbed a man to d£ath after dispute over payment…

2 weeks ago

Man beaten to de@th over missing phone in Lagos (video)

A man identified as Azeez has reportedly di£d after he was allegedly beaten by suspected…

2 weeks ago

Germany deports 137 Nigerians in five chartered flights

Germany deported at least 137 Nigerian citizens in five documented chartered operations between February and…

2 weeks ago

Lagos government warns celebrities against patronising ‘agberos’

Lagos State Government has asked to celebrities, social media influencers and other members of the…

2 weeks ago

Woman allegedly st@bs her husband to d3ath in Abia 7 months after their wedding

A woman identified as Serah Innocent has allegedly st@bbed her husband, Innocent Nwaoji to d3ath…

2 weeks ago

WAFCON 2026: CAF announce new ways to watch in Africa and worldwide

CAF Confirms Global Broadcast Partners for WAFCON 2026, Expands YouTube Streaming The Confederation of African…

4 weeks ago

This website uses cookies.